Friday, September 26, 2008
1. Stop smoking. Quitting smoking is the single most important thing a person can do to live longer. If you are a smoker, you are twice as likely to have a heart attack than a non-smoker. But from the moment you stop smoking, the risk of heart attack starts to reduce.
2. Cut down on salt. Too much salt can cause high blood pressure, which increases the risk of developing coronary heart disease. Avoid foods like crisps, salted nuts, canned and packet soups and sauces, baked beans and canned vegetables, pork pies, pizzas and ready meals.
3. Watch your diet. A healthy diet can help to reduce the risk of developing heart disease, and can also help increase the chances of survival after a heart attack. You should try to have a balanced diet, containing plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, oily fish, starchy foods such as wholegrain bread, pasta and rice.
4. Monitor your alcohol. Too much alcohol can damage the heart muscle, increase blood pressure and also lead to weight gain. Binge drinking will increase your risk of having a heart attack, so you should aim to limit your intake to one to two units a day.
5. Get active.The heart is a muscle and it needs exercise to keep fit so that it can pump blood efficiently round your body with each heart beat. You should aim for 30 minutes of moderate intensity exercise a day.
6. Manage your weight. Carrying a lot of extra weight as fat can greatly affect your health and increases the risk of life-threatening conditions such as coronary heart disease and diabetes. If you are overweight or obese, start by making small, but healthy changes to what you eat, and try to become more active.
7. Get your blood pressure and cholesterol levels checked . The higher your blood pressure, the shorter your life expectancy. High levels of cholesterol in the blood - produced by the liver from saturated fats - can lead to fatty deposits in your coronary arteries that increase your risk of coronary heart disease, stroke, and diseases that affect the circulation. You can help lower your cholesterol level by exercising and eating high-fibre foods such as porridge, beans, pulses, lentils, nuts, fruits and vegetables.
8. Learn to manage your stress levels. If you find things are getting on top of you, you may fail to eat properly, smoke and drink too much and this may increase your risk of a heart attack.
9. Check your family history . If a close relative is at risk of developing coronary heart disease from smoking, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, lack of physical activity, obesity and diabetes, then you could be at risk too.
10. Make sure you can recognise the early signs of coronary heart disease . Tightness or discomfort in the chest, neck, arm or stomach which comes on when you exert yourself but goes away with rest may be the first sign of angina, which can lead to a heart attack if left untreated.
· Health tips from the British Heart Foundation
Friday, September 19, 2008
'Radio health' functions under NRHM (National Rural Health Mission-Aarogyakeralam.),is taking the first step towards realizing the concept of a community radio by launching the first FM radio for disseminating health education and public health messages to the rural population.
Radio Health, to be aired on the Ananthapuri FM platform, will be initially launched in Trivandrum district(Kerala) and then taken to other districts in phases.
Radio Health is envisaged as a vehicle for providing information on health-related activities in the State and for giving health education to the community, especially rural women. Apart from relaying programmes on health topics, Radio Health will also function as a link between the community and the health workers. Local people would be encouraged to develop content and interact with health providers.
Initially, the programmes will be for a duration of 30 minutes and will be aired from Thursday to Sunday from 3 p.m. The primary target audience of Radio Health will be rural women and school children, who could influence and encourage behavioural changes on health issues within the family and community.
The programmes include health education talks by doctors, maternal and child care issues, phone-in programmes, and those that discuss native knowledge on health . The district NRHM unit has prepared a panel of doctors who will help to develop programmes and to deliver health messages.
The project was officially inaugurated on 15 th september and broadcast is to begin from 25 th September.
Sunday, September 07, 2008
Vallam Kali (Boat race)
Pulikali (leopard play)
Kaikottikali (clap dance)
Onam is the greatest festival of Kerala. Onam Festival falls during the Malayali month of Chingam (Aug - Sep) and marks the homecoming of legendary King Mahabali. Carnival of Onam lasts for ten days and brings out the best of Kerala culture and tradition. Intricately decorated Pookalam, ambrosial Onasadya, breathtaking Snake Boat Race and exotic Kaikottikali dance are some of the most remarkable features of Onam - the harvest festival in Kerala.
The beauty of the festival lies in it's secular fabric. People of all religions, castes and communities celebrate the festival with equal joy and verve. Onam also helps to create an atmosphere of peace and brotherhood by way of various team sports organised on the day.
Thiruonam,the main Onam day falls on 11 September 2008.
Wishing all my blogger friends a happy and prosperous Onam.
image source- google
Wednesday, August 20, 2008
Some people are alive because it is illegal to kill them.
No job,No girl friend ,No problem.
Not all men are fools, some stay bachelors.
99% of the girls are beautiful,rest are in my college.
Where there is a will I want to be in it.
My Job is secure ,no body wants it.
Growing old is mandatory,growing up is optional.
A journey of thousand miles begins with a cash advance.
I was born intelligent...education ruined me.
Alcohol doesn't solve any problems,but then again neither does milk.
Thank God,,I am an atheist.
In a country of free speech,why there are phone bills.
I am better than normal ,I am abnormal.
Fastest 3 ways of communication TEL-EPHONE, TEL -EVISION,TEL WOMAN.
Women are the best gift to man...n I am the greatest liar on earth.
Conserve water ,drink beer.
I wanted to kill the hottest person alive on this earth...until I realised suicide is a crime.. !!!
I am not selfish,I just want everything.
I am not a complete idiot,some parts are missing.
These captions were compiled by a news paper,I did my usual thing ....Lifting.
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Dan Wolman an Israeli film director.
Born Jerusalem, Palestine October 28th 1941.
Spent the first years of his life in Ethiopia.
After finishing high school in Jerusalem he studied film in the U.S.
From 1962 to 1965 (The Film Institute of City College New York).
From 1965 to 1968 (New York University Film School).
2007 "Tied Hands" wins Award for Best Feature Film and Best
Performance in a feature film (Gila Almagor) at The Palm Beach
International Film Festival.
2007 "Ben's Biography" Platinum Mori Award Houston Worldfest.
2006 "Tied Hands" presented at the Jerusalem International Film Festival.
The film wins special prize for Gila Almagor's performance.
2006 "Ben's Biography" wins at FARO Mediterranean Film Festival
"Best Film" (Audience choice), and Best actor (Gal Zaid).
2004 “Ben’s Biography”. In competition Moscow International Film
Festival. New Delhi film Festival and numerous other festivals.
2001 “Treasures of the Red Sea” (A children's film produced, written
and directed for "Yoram Globus Production").
2001 "Foreign Sister" receives "A special recognition Award” at
The Berlin Black Film Festival.
2000 “Foreign Sister” Winner of The "Volgin" Award for best film at
The Jerusalem International Film Festival.
1999 Receives “Life time achievement award” at Jerusalem
International Film Festival.
1994 “The Distance” wins The Wolgin Award for best film at the
Jerusalem International Film Festival.
1992 –“Silver Hugo” award at the Chicago International Film Festival
"for unique vision and innovative work…".
1985 “Soldier of The Night” Montpelier Film Festival, Sardinia and
1979 “Hide and Seek” Presented at the Berlin Film Festival.
It won in Israel “The Silver Rose” Award for Best film, Best director,
and Best script .
1975 "My Michael’ Screenplay by Wolman and Ester Mor, based
on the novel By Amos Oz. The film won The “David Lyre”
Award for Best film, Best director and Best script.
Israeli critics choice for best film.
1972 “Floch” (Written in collaboration with Chanoch Levin) in
competition at Venice Film Festival.
1970 “The Dreamer“. In competition at Cannes Film Festival.
Shown in numerous film festivals.
Dan also directed commercial films: “Jeina”1971,“Baby love” 1983,
"Up your Anchor" 1983 “Nana” 1884.
1976 "The Story of Bash" based on short story by Issac Bashevis Zinger. Won The Best Television Drama of the Year by Israel's Broadcasting Authority.
1977 "Gimpel the Fool" Based on a short story by Bashevis Zinger. Competed the Italian Television competition.
1988 "Stempenue" based on the first novel of Shalom Aleichem.
Competed Italia Television contest.
1992 "Mivchan Magen" based on a script by Aliza Ulmert.
1993 "Scape Goat" a two part mini series based on a novel by Eli Amir.
1999 "Protected Species" for Reshet production.
Short films :
1965 - “The Living” - Winner of best film, best director and best editor prizes at the American Photographic Society of America film festival.
1966 “Habit” (Written by Lan Okun), Cin’e award, Golden Eagel award. A.F.I. Film Festival.
1968 “The Race", "The Golden Eagle Award" at cin'e competition. Numerous festivals.
1968 - “The Gospel” winner of The Kingsly Award for best film of the year at N.Y.U. film festival.
"Habit" Presented at "The directors Fortnight" 1970 Canns Film Festival.
1978 “The National Poet” (Based on a radio drama by Chanoch Levin).
1968 “Saffed”. 1970 “Men of the Holly Mountain” (about
the Samaritans). 1978 “To touch a city” - Jerusalem.
1981 “ Big days small stories” 1991 “Mosaic” the story of Beit Shean.
1997 “Reuven Shiloah”. 1999 “Yolande”. 2001 “ Yitshak Sade”
2007 "Spoken with Love" official selection "DocAviv" film festival
1982 "Bells in Jerusalem" CHAN theater in Jerusalem.
1983 “She wasn’t there”. Written in collaboration with Blanka Metsner
1991 “Ben’s Biography”. Presented at “Theaterneto” in Tel Aviv,
Edinburgh theater Festival, “Village Gate” New York.
1995 “The Operation” Festival for Alternate Theater.
2003 "Last Curtain in Damascus".
2004 “Yadja” (by Blanca Metzner and Dan Wolman opened in Paris.
Later that year "Yadja" was presented at The Avignon Theater Festival.
2006 "The Lit Darkness" Tzavta Theater"
Wolman taught cinema at Tel Aviv University, MA'ALE School in
Jerusalem. New York University, School of Visual Arts (New York).
Wolman was on the Jury of The Jerusalem, Haifa, Chicago,
Cine -Manila, Istanbul, Bratislava, Mumbai, Pune, DocAviv, EBS (Korea)
"Kin" Yerevan -Armenia and Ashdod Film Festivals.
Dan Wolman's e-mail - firstname.lastname@example.org.
May I use this occasion to thank Dan Wolman for showing his excellent films at TIFF-08,and making the festival an ever remembering one.
Thanks a lot Dan
text source -Wikipedia